HEARST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.
Social Media Senior Producer (Media)
Job Description: Do you have a passion for news, engaging readers and visual journalism? Do you want to be part of the digital transformation of one of the largest and most respected local news organizations in America? We're looking for a creative, versatile multimedia journalist with high-level audience building expertise to join the HoustonChronicle.com social media team. Digital storytelling proficiency, analytics know-how and a well-developed photo/video skill set are of the utmost importance in this role. The Social Media Senior Producer will have a multifaceted journalistic skill set that includes the ability to write sharp, concise, clean social media copy with voice; shoot and edit video that is optimized for mobile; create native social media content, such as Facebook and Instagram Stories, Twitter threads and social media cards; and help other members of the newsroom use social media to expand their journalism's reach and impact. They will also mentor the Chronicle's team of social media producers in meaningfully growing and engaging audiences on platforms such as, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, NextDoor and LinkedIn. The successful candidate will become a thought leader in the Houston Chronicle newsroom and will touch hundreds of thousands of readers every day.
· This position is full-time.
· It will likely include Monday-to-Friday schedule with a morning start time.
· Weekend, evening and holiday work will be required as news and project deadlines warrant.
· Work with digital, editorial and consumer revenue leaders to develop strategy for the Houston Chronicle social media channels.
· Monitor and analyze social media audience data and develop strategies for increasing reach, engagement and referral traffic to HoustonChronicle.com and Chron.com.
· Create link posts and native content for platforms that amplify the Houston Chronicle brand, while helping to establish a more distinctive @HoustonChron social media voice.
· Work with digital project managers, editors and writers on innovative packages and new ways of storytelling, including social video, that introduce the Chronicle to new audiences.
· Cross-train as an online producer and participate fully in our team approach to digital.
Who we're looking for:
· 3-5 years' experience in a journalism, community outreach or information-technology setting
· Bachelor's or master's degree or equivalent experience, journalism focus preferred
· Exceptional social media and photo/video skills
· Excellent communication skills, a collaborative mindset and a demonstrated proficiency for driving audience engagement.
· Understanding of media ethics
· Command of digital metrics
· Collaborative DNA and creative fearlessness