Vice President, Corporate Counsel (Legal)
Vice President, Corporate Counsel
PGIM Real Estate Law has an exciting opportunity to work in a dynamic global investment management business. PGIM Real Estate Law is seeking a Vice President, Corporate Counsel to join the Americas legal team supporting the PGIM Real Estate business with broad responsibility for real estate transactional, asset management and product development matters in the U.S. and Latin America. The successful candidate will report to the Chief Counsel, Americas.
PGIM Real Estate is the real estate investment business of PGIM, Inc. the global investment business of Prudential Financial, Inc. (NYSE: PRU) which ranks as one of top 10 asset managers in the world with more than $1 trillion in assets under management as of September 30, 2018. Redefining the real estate investing landscape since 1970, PGIM Real Estate has professionals in 18 cities in the Americas, Europe and Asia Pacific with deep local knowledge and expertise, and gross assets under management of $70.9 billion (net $50.4 billion) as of September 30, 2018. PGIM Real Estate offers its global client base a broad range of real estate equity, debt and securities investment strategies that span the risk/return spectrum.
The PGIM Real Estate Law Department currently comprises 13 attorneys located in PGIM Real Estate's offices in Madison, NJ, London, Frankfurt, Mexico City, Singapore and Tokyo. PGIM Real Estate Law is part of Prudential's Law, Compliance, Business Ethics and External Affairs department.
Key responsibilities include:
· Providing advice on a broad range of real estate matters including sales, acquisitions, financings, leasing, property management and development in the U.S. and Latin America.
· Providing advice related to joint ventures, REIT, FIBRA (Mexican REITs) and CKD investment structures as well as other investment transactions.
· Providing advice on the legal and regulatory issues related to the structuring, marketing and launching of new real estate investment funds and other products.
· Supporting portfolio management and asset management teams.
· Providing advice on fund governance and litigation matters as needed.
· Retaining, managing and coordinating outside counsel.
· Supporting and driving diversity and inclusion efforts, including the retention of diverse outside counsel.
· Significant law firm or in-house transactional experience (minimum of 6 years). Real estate transactional experience is a plus.
· Fluent in Spanish.
· Desire to learn the PGIM Real Estate business and expand knowledge of the different areas of law that affect the business in the U.S. and Latin America.
· Strong problem-solving, communication and client management skills.
· Strong project management skills, including the ability to prioritize multiple tasks and operate independently in a fast-paced environment.
· Excellent judgment, including the ability to provide pragmatic advice and escalate issues when appropriate.
· Ability to collaborate with clients, colleagues and corporate partners at all levels, including senior management.
· General knowledge of the US regulatory framework for private funds and real estate capital markets, such as the Investment Advisers Act, the Securities Act of 1933 and ERISA is a plus.
· General knowledge of rules and regulations related to REITs, FIBRAs and CKDs is a plus.
· Admitted to practice law in at least one state and able to obtain an in-house counsel license, if required.
The position will be based in PGIM Real Estate's headquarters in Madison, NJ or New York, NY. Some travel to PGIM Real Estate's Latin America headquarters in Mexico City will be required.