Electrical Engineer (Architecture)
The Electrical Engineer (EE) will be responsible for the design of AC and DC power distribution systems, lighting systems, grounding, paralleling switchgear, standby generators, MV distribution, Building Management Systems (BMS), power systems studies, calculations and analysis with primary emphasis on Power Modules, IT Modules and Data Centers. The EE will design to customer specifications and requirements and will support all Electrical inquiries and business development activities. The EE will provide general electrical configuration designs for Data Centers, Telecommunications Central Office, Switching Centers, Video Hub Offices, etc. and will work directly with the module integration facility to develop a detailed drawing package for the integration of all electrical systems. The Electrical Engineer will provide single line signal wire diagrams and electrical diagrams that demonstrate electrical integration of UPS power systems, DC power systems, standby generator, grounding, cooling, fire protection, surveillance, BMS, lighting and other equipment in the building. This Individual will coordinate the facility power systems with architectural and mechanical designs, Factory and Site Acceptance Testing and commissioning.
1) Serve as the lead electrical engineer on assigned projects from pre-sales to final commissioning stage.
2) Create designs which meet or exceed Vertiv quality requirements and fall within budgetary requirements.
3) Design optimal UPS power systems and/or DC Power Systems based on customer equipment/IT loads.
4) Design of switchgear configurations and control schemes, utilizing PLCs and/or relays, to accomplish automated transfer operations.
5) Design of ground fault protective schemes, including those involving multiple sources.
6) Generation of bills of material, and modification of standard assemblies as required to satisfy the application.
7) Familiarity with Modbus and TCP/IP communications protocols, and RS-485 and Ethernet interfaces.
8) Provide a detailed Schematic Design(SD), Detail Design(DD) and Construction Drawing(CD) narrative for electrical design aspects of the solution
9) Experience collaborating with other disciplines and external partners – General contractors or architects to create a construction document set.
10) Work with Vertiv's business units, Business Partners and preferred vendors to specify the appropriate electrical equipment like UPS, Switchgear, Generator, etc.
11) Provide detail sizing analysis of Standby Emergency generators based on type of loads – capacitance, inductance, motor loads, high/low inertia loads, UPS, lighting, etc.
12) Work with local agencies having jurisdiction to ensure compliance with federal, state and municipal requirements and building codes.
13) Review and approve electrical product submittals.
14) Define project scope and provide technical support for information requests prior to and during construction phases.
15) Quality control during integration of electrical systems
16) Support for all on site integration support
17) Define project scope and provide technical support for information requests prior to and during construction phases.
18) Work with commissioning teams to properly test and validate installation, operation and performance of electrical systems.
19) Travel to sites for site review and work with onsite field engineers, as well as provide engineering evaluations, electrical systems audits and start-up as needed.
20) Offer creative, out of the box solutions to the customer.
1) Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering or possesses acceptable experience and subject knowledge
2) Professional engineering (PE) License – optional
3) Minimum 1 year of Electrical Engineering experience
4) Knowledge of low voltage switchboard / switchgear design, installation, and use
5) Knowledge of local, state, & federal codes governing the installation and use of low voltage switchboards/switchgear.
6) Working knowledge in AutoDesk suite of Engineering software including AutoCAD and Inventor
7) Proven experience with Microsoft Office Applications
8) Experience reading and interpreting electrical construction drawings and equipment specifications
9) Understanding of the current version of the National Electrical Code
10) Interpreting customer specification requirements.
11) Have the ability to research new designs, technologies and construction methods for data center equipment and facilities
12) Ability to think outside the box to find creative and innovative solutions to reduce costs with no impact on quality, reliability or maintainability.
13) Must possess excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
14) Must be detail oriented.
15) Proven leadership and problem solving skills.
16) Proven Project Management skills
1) 15 – 25% Domestic travel required